Monthly Archives: November 2010
“Nude” nails—do you dig this nail look? Check it out on Heidi Klum.
The idea is to choose a tone that’s similar to your skin color (think chocolates, beiges, tans or creams, depending on your complexion) so that your nails almost blend it. It’s a way to make fingers look longer. Or freak the people who aren’t fans out. You know, either way.
But the question is are you into this trend or no?
(And, if you’re wondering, yes, the sliver of dress you see is that infamous polka dot dress Heidi and Michael Kors fought about on the season finale of Project Runway.)
Gone are the days when your nail polishes were limited to dazzling dame reds, ladylike pinks and corals. Check out Christina Applegate’s nails, they are really dark. Now nail polish and makeup palettes take their cues from the runway. As Essie Weingarten, the founder and president of Essie explains, “This fall, designers are mixing it up, combining sheer fabric with leather along with lingerie as outer wear in deep, muted tones and bold color palettes which is very alluring.”
And how can you pull off wild nails with the rest of your makeup palette? Celebrity manicurist Pippa Hebden suggests to pull off, “that warm autumn look, color coordinate your nail color…use lighter shades for day and russet colors for evening.”
As we reported to you in February, mushroom/putty shades are hot for fall. Not into taupe or greige?
Read on for the other hot and cool nail polishes to play with this fall.
This post will tell you how to do a manicure at home and still get that shiny salon look. Things You’ll Need: four-sided nail file, bowl of soapy water, towel, body or hand lotion.
1. Wash hands with hot soapy water thoroughly to get any dirt and oil off. Dry hands completely.
2. Take a nail file with four sides and take the side with the rough edges and file the edge of the nail. Do not file from side to side like usually do. Instead file the edge once and see if the edges of the have pieces hanging off of it like dead skin. If it does file in the opposite direction. When you file, file to the other side and then go back without the file being on the nail and file again. Repeat this until the nail is even.
3. Go to #2 side on the nail file and starting on the top of the nail and proceed in an arch from side to side to get the ridges out of the nail.
4. Go to side #3 and do the same going over the nail in an arch and buff the nail to make it smooth.
5. Go to side #4 and do the same going in an arch. This will make the nail shine even without polish.
6. Apply a hand or body lotion to your hands, preferably one with cocoa butter. Make sure lotion is on each finger and nail, even on the sides of the nail. Make sure the skin in between each finger gets lotion as well.
7. Polish the nail with a base coat.
And have beautiful shiny nails!